Key Elements of a PM App

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Richa

When looking for an ideal PM App for the iPad, what are the key factors I must consider?
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you be more specific about your business requirements? What is it you'd like to achieve using this App?
Richa

I have a team of around 200 professionals, developers, consultants, designers and alike in more than two locations. To manage the project needs, a PM app is needed that could allow me to assign tasks to resources and get status updates from within the app. It would be great if collaboration between several devices or export functionality be possible. Essentially an app that allows creation or import of MPP files would be ideal for my needs.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

An app I find very useful is Evernote. I use it to create and maintain my task lists, and it allows me to assign tasks to other team members that also use the app. The premium version allows you to share notebooks with colleagues and work together on projects. You can set reminders on notes, which is a very useful feature. It syncs with all your devices, so you'll always have your task lists and notes to hand.

There's a few apps here, but it looks like you'll need Project Server and SharePoint for a lot of them: Apps for Project
matthe

Nice topic for discussion.
dhaughey
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Matthe

I’m using Evernote, Trello and Microsoft Excel to manage projects. However, I know several project managers that like Monday.com project management. It’s on my list of solutions to investigate.

In terms of features and critical elements that are important:
  • Resource planning
  • Task planning
  • Management of risks, issues and dependencies
  • Project schedule, including key milestones
  • Budget management
  • Status reporting
  • Progress dashboard
Anything I’ve missed?

Duncan