General PM advice

This forum is for members to share and gain knowledge of Project Management. Got a question about project management? Need help with a problem? Wish to offer tips and advice? Post here.
Alex1509

Hi all,

Hope you're having a lovely day :)

First time poster on this forum. I am at a bit of a crossroads in my career at the moment and some advice/guidance would be welcomed. I have been a PM working for a telecoms company for just over 3 years. My previous roles were essentially Telecoms admin/provisioning roles and I joined my current company with new project management experience. I have since passed my Prince2 Foundation and Practitioners exams, the latter is due to expire this November and I am keen to renew it. I recently had a pay review with my current manager who advised there is no money for pay rises at the moment which was disappointing as I am a hard worker and have achieved great results with some big projects. I asked if there were any qualifications that would warrant or merit a pay rise and he said "No" which I found surprising. I am looking to do the Agile course this year and ultimately would like to do PMQ and PMP. Are these good qualifications to have? What is the quintessential PM qualification that most companies look for? In my experience of job hunting, Prince2 isn't essential, but it is a 'nice to have' qualification. Coincidentally, Prince2 doesn't come with any pay rises in my company, they actually don't use the methodology.

I enjoy my job and I like the people, but I am keen to utilise my PM qualification and also am looking to improve my wages and I am currently on between £30-35K. I spoke to a recruiter recently and she told me the minimum I should expect from a new role given the above and my age (late 30s) should be £40K. Does that sound accurate? I am also mindful of the fact that I am still relatively speaking, at the lower end when it comes to experience. Are companies willing to take a chance on a PM with my level of experience if they don't have the background in the specific sector? For example, I have always worked in Telecoms, but I am keen to move to another sector, I am not sure which one though so any recommendations would be very much appreciated.